The Recovery Room Nurse is the primary patient advocate following surgery. This nurse monitors patients when they are still under the effects of anaesthesia. Recovery room nurses must be registered nurses who have been extensively trained in critical care. It is essential that a high standard of nursing care is maintained. The role should be carried out in professional manner and in accordance with policies and protocols.
- Providing constant care to patients immediately following surgery. This may be a time frame anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, until the patient is stable enough either to be transported to his hospital room or discharged from the facility.
- Connecting the patient to devices such as cardiac monitoring equipment, and to intravenous therapy for fluids and pain medication.
- Monitoring patients’ vital signs, such as Blood pressure, pulse, RR, temperature; administration of oxygen suctioning.
- Monitoring patients for bleeding, pain management to assess patients’ comfort level.
- Observing patients to assess their comfort level, asking patients about their level of pain, and administering pain medications that have been prescribed.
- Administrating intravenous, IM, subcutaneous, PCA and epidural therapy.
- Transferring verbal and written information about the patient to the ward nurse responsible for the patient.
- Maintaining and providing necessary documentation, as appropriate.
- Rapidly reacting to signs of negative physical changes, calling for assistance and beginning cardiopulmonary resuscitation, if necessary. Acting in a clear headed and knowledgeable way during an emergency.
- Must communicate effectively with patients of different ages and backgrounds.
- Possess excellent observation skills, be able to think critically, and be able to make quick and effective decisions.
- Must be in possession of a valid nursing degree.
- Must be registered with the Malta Council for Nurses and Midwives.
- Must be in possession of valid ILS certification (will be supported by the company).
- A team player with effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Responsible and compassionate
- Basic computer skills
- Good time management
- Preference will be given to the candidates already in Malta
IMMEDIATE PLACEMENTS for candidates with fluent English language, meeting all the above requirements.
The selected candidate will be a self-confident and very well organized professional who portrays an image of efficiency.