The Head of Purchasing will manage the buying team which plays a vital part in sourcing, negotiating, and delivering the best goods at optimum prices to our clients within our retail network.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- The primary focus of the head of purchasing position is to effectively manage and develop our diverse purchasing team
- Allocate project work to Buying Managers based on workload and skill set
- Manage all aspects of the team including appraisals, setting KPI’s according to the top management’s directions, recruitment and trainings.
- Category management and assortment building and optimization.
- Understand consumer trends to plan a strategy in line with market requirements.
- Sourcing the best products, locally and internationally.
- Include sustainability both in category management and in the sourcing process.
- Review current and develop new robust processes and procedures.
- Present Team Structure and Budgets for the next Financial Year (turnover, mark-up, stocks, rebates) and make sure to keep on track.
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with new and existing suppliers.
- Issue tenders (RFI/RFQ) and carry out the evaluation process.
- Negotiate prices as well as contract terms and conditions with suppliers.
- Develop rebate plans.
- Develop and support all the promotional activity settled by/with marketing department.
- Sign and improve contractual conditions with suppliers.
- Review stock levels and order products. Follow-up on Logistics.
- Plan for payment and delivery.
- Make sure that the sourced items have the requested quality and certifications as per group policy.
- Prepare reports and present them to senior management.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
- Work in office on a full-time basis, occasionally spending time in warehouses, stores, competition visits and fairs.
EDUCATION & LICENSES REQUIRED
- Experience in a similar role – Head of Purchasing / Purchasing Lead -preferably in retail.
- Experience working in a product and consumer-focused business, (preferably DIY or home improvement retailers – but not mandatory)
- Requires a university degree (qualification at MQF Level 4 or higher) in relevant areas including procurement, business administration, sales and marketing, management, or commerce.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / QUALITIES / TOOLS & EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS POSITION
- An understanding of the retail industry the organisation is operating in
- Knowledge of the products and/or services available on the market
- Knowledge of competitors’ activities and pricing strategies
- Commercial and business awareness
- Financial and Analytical skills
- The ability to adapt to different client needs
- Written and verbal communication skills in English and preferably also Maltese
- IT and Numerical skills
- Leadership, Organisational skills and problem solving and decision-making skills
- Time management skills and the ability to cope with the pressure of demanding targets and tight deadlines
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- The ability to persuade, influence, negotiate and network successfully
- The ability to build long-lasting business relationships.
- A results-driven approach and attention to detail
- An entrepreneurial mindset, business acumen
- Confidence, constructive attitude, flexibility, perseverance
The selected candidate will be a self-confident and very well organized professional who portrays an image of efficiency.